FIONA Kirk, whose roles are Queen and Hungarian Princess, may have been South Africa’s National Dance (skating) champion, but to our average citizen, board or roller skating are sports with which they are more familiar. Yet, ice skating is a sport/ice-dance art that fascinates all. So when Pieter Toerien presents The Imperial Ice Stars in one of Tony Mercer’s Tchaikovsky ice-theatre spectacles, no one should miss out watching 25 Olympic/European/World champion skaters in action... they are a marvellously co-ordinated team.
WHAT A gorgeous ﬁnale to the Christmas celebrations: last week the luscious scarlet and gilt Royal Albert Hall glittered with perfectly placed fairy lights and the London Concert Orchestra, conducted by Tim A Duncan, tucked away under the roof ﬂooding the place with Tchaikovsky’s heavenly music.
**** THERE'S no skimping on even the composer's name. It's written out in full in the programme: Pyotr Iltich Tchaikovsky And why not? Swan Lake on Ice, performed by the Imperial Ice Stars, is an accomplished and elegant show that deserves its place among balletomanes who like their art light, with a twist of Russian.
Wake up Wellington! This is a Sleeping Beauty for the 21st century and you'd be mad to miss it. The imperial Ice Stars production under the direction/choreography of Tony Mercer gives us a modern take on the traditional fairytale. Gone are the fairies and the spindles, no one falls asleep for a 100 years, Carabosse is no old crone and the royal wedding is exactly that, not a Royal Variety Show. And while there will always be audiences for the traditional version of this story, it is totally refreshing to see such a different take on it and one that actually makes sense and works.
Charles Perrault would be astonished, but not displeased, by this imaginative staging on ice of his classic fairy tale. Gone are the archaic powdered wigs, knee-breeches and lavishly adorned tutus traditionally associated with The Sleeping Beauty, as well as the unprepossessing crone representing Carabosse, bearer of evil.
Upcoming show dates
Swan Lake on Ice
- 21-26 June, Cultural Plaza Theatre, Shanghai, CHINA
- 8-10 July, Zhuhai Huafa Theatre, Zhuhai,
- 13-14 July, Suzhou Culture and Arts Center, Suzhou
- 22-24 July, Guangzhou Opera House, Guangzhou
- 20 Oct - 23 Oct, Grand Rex, Paris, FRANCE
- 26 October, Zenith De Toulouse, Toulouse
- 29 Oct, Grand Hall Parc Des Expositions, Tour
- 1 - 2 November, Grand Rex, Paris
- 8 November, Halle Tony Garnier, Lyon
- 10 November, Summum, Grenobles
- 12-13 November, Silo, Marseille
- 15 November, Arena, Geneva, SWITZERLAND
- 17 November, Zenith, Strasbourg, FRANCE
- 19-20 November, Colisée, Roubaix
Sleeping Beauty on Ice
- 6-7 July, Zhuhai Huafa Theatre, Zhuhai, CHINA
- 15-17 July, Suzhou Culture and Arts Center, Suzhou
- 20-21 July, Guangzhou Opera House, Guangzhou
The Nutcracker on Ice
- 6-10 December, Opera, DUBAI