The Imperial Ice Stars’ Nutcracker on Ice has all the elements of a child’s fantasy. Performed by an international cast, the skaters move elegantly across the stage. Donning eye catching costumes, they jump and twirl, performing tricks that defeat the laws of physics.
Not only do they skate, there is also gymnastics, fire twirling and acrobatics. Ice-cream and brightly coloured drinks are all allowed in this theatre! It’s a two hour sensory overload for children, though the skaters’ refined technique can be appreciated by all age groups.
The Nutcracker is based on a classic tale of a little girl who brings her Nutcracker doll to life. What follows is anepic adventure featuring her entire toy collection as well as the house mice.
Written in 1816 by German author E T A Hoffman and later adapted by the French writer Alexander Dumas, The Nutcracker premiered as a ballet-fairytale in 1892 to Tchaikovsky’s opera Iolant. The Nutcracker on Ice is an adaptation of the ballet, with skaters dancing to Tchaikovsky’s music.
With choreography by award-winning ice directors Tony Mercer, the Nutcracker on Ice is a visual extravaganza. While the over the top showy glitz may not be for all tastes and age-groups, those who enjoy ice-skating or a spectacle will definitely appreciate this performance.
Until Jun 10, Capitol Theatre, 13 Campbell St, Haymarket, 1300 723 038, capitoltheatre.com.au
Upcoming show dates
Swan Lake on Ice
- 27 April - 8 May, Cultural Centre, HONG KONG
- 21-26 June, Cultural Plaza Theatre, Shanghai, CHINA
- 1-6 November, Grand Rex, Paris, FRANCE
- 8 November, Halle Tony Garnier, Lyon
- 10 November, Summum, Grenobles
- 12-13 November, Silo, Marseille
- 15 November, Arena, Geneva, SWITZERLAND
- 17 November, Zenith, Strasbourg, FRANCE
- 19-20 November, Colisée, Roubaix
The Nutcracker on Ice
- 6-10 December, Opera, DUBAI